On June 30, 2020, the Australian Antidumping Commission (ADC) simultaneously announced two initiations of anti-dumping and countervailing investigation on two products:
- Anti-dumping on Aluminum zinc coated steel of a width equal to or greater than 600mm imported from Republic of Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam; and countervailing investigation with products imported from Vietnam.
- Anti-dumping and countervailing on Aluminium zinc coated steel of a width less than 600mm export to Australia from China and Vietnam.
The petition lodged by BlueScope Steel Limited. The alleged dumping and subsidisation has caused material injury to the Australian industry producing like goods through:
- price suppression;
- price depression;
- reduced profits; and
- reduced probability.
The goods the subject of the investigation are:
- Flat rolled iron and steel products (whether or not containing alloys), of a width less than 600mm plated or coated with aluminium-zinc alloys, not painted, and whether or not including resin coating, with the following HS code:
- 7210.61.00 (statistical code 60, 61 and 62);
- 7225.99.00 (statistical code 39).
- Flat rolled iron and steel products (whether or not containing alloys), of a width less than 600mm, plated or coated with aluminium-zinc alloys, not painted, and whether or not including resin coating, with the following HS code:
- 7212.50.00 (statistical code 66);
- 7226.99.00 (statistical code 71).
The investigation period is 1 April 2019 to 31 March 2020. They will examine exports to Australia of the goods during this period to determine whether dumping and subsidisation has occurred and examine details of the Australian market from 1 April 2016 for the purposes of injury analysis.
Exporters of the goods to Australia are invited to participate in this investigation by completing the exporter questionnaire and the associated spreadsheets by Thursday, 6 August 2020. Interested parties wishing to participate in the investigation must ensure that submissions are lodged by the due date.
Currently, with the situation of Covid epidemic is happening tense with unpredictable developments, the world economy in general and the Vietnamese economy in particular are struggling with losses to revive each day. Countries also thus tighten trade barriers to protect domestic production, but this has put a lot of pressure on the import and export of other countries. Australia has made a move to protect domestic aluminum-zinc coated steel products. They have comprehensive protection by imposed the anti-dumping and countervailing investigation for galvanized steel galvanized for both widths <600m and >= 600mm.
In this context, Australia alleges Vietnam into two cases that exporting goods less than normal value and were in receipt of countervailable subsidies. Moreover, Australia slapped anti-dumping duties on zinc coated steel for Vietnam from 2017. It seems like an obstacle for Vietnam to have a strong step to Australia steel market.
Besides, in September 2019 and this March, Indonesia, and Malaysia also imposed anti-dumping investigation on aluminum-zinc coated steel imports from Vietnam. This will be a difficulty during the economic crisis caused by the COVID epidemic when many markets are targeting and wanting to restrict a Vietnamese product.
However, the MRS Team with handling Anti-dumping issues can help the factory pass this investigation.
To better understand trade defense policies or technical barriers, please feel free to contact us:
Ms Lan – Juridical Manager of MRS Steel
Mobile – WhatsApp: 00 84 962343746.